This past year, the COVID-19 pandemic brought about terror, grief, anxiety, fear, a culmination of feelings like nothing we have experienced before. We all felt it one way or another, a collective trauma we all experienced, and many of us sought out the things that bring us peace; reading, art, fitness, sleep, gaming, different for everyone. And the solace I sought? I found it in music. Music brought me my escape, it took me away from my reality, and it saved me, as it always does.
Throughout my life, music has always been the one constant that I have gravitated towards (both consciously and unconsciously) in times of need, times I've felt lost or like I've strayed from my journey. It allows me to enjoy the expression of art in one of it's most beautiful forms, and encourages me to be utterly free, and let it all hang out. When I listen to music, it affects all parts of me, my heart, soul, brain. It brings me utter joy, the enjoyment of exploring music, finding new artists and new songs, reminiscing on old songs that bring about memories. I love it all. But there is one particular genre that stands out for me.
I first saw Singin' in the Rain at the age of 3, and something clicked in me, and I became obsessive about consuming as many musicals as I could. I couldn't get enough, it seemed to seep into all parts of my life, and this has continued to influence me into my adult life. And last year, I leaned on that obsession again and discovered some outstanding musicals and scores that brought me the much needed joy I was yearning for. And so it was a no-brainer that my We are Hummingbird playlist submission would be made up of some fantastic musical theatre numbers, that I hope at least bring a smile to your face and a little flourish of joy to your soul.
1. Road to Hell - Andre De Shields
2. Nine to Five - Allison Janney, Megan Hilty, Stephanie J Block
3. A Day in Falsettoland - Falsettos 2016 Company
4. A Musical - Brad Oscar, Brian D'Arcy James
5. So Much Better - Laura Bell Bundy
6. Carrying the Banner - Jeremy Jordan
7. I Say No - Carrie Hope Fletcher
8. Wait for It - Leslie Odom Jr.
9. I'd Rather Be Me - Barrett Wilbert Weed
10. Take Me To Heave (Reprise) - Patina Miller
11. One Day More - Les Miserables 2010 Company
12. Unruly Heart - Caitlin Kinnunen